How to Keep Your adidas Trainers Clean
Every sneakerhead knows that feeling when you open a new box of kicks. If you want your trainers looking fresh, follow our recommendations for keeping your trainers in the best condition.
Follow our do's and don’ts guide for maintaining your streetwear shoes, so you can experience that new sneaker feeling every day
When you need to clean your trainers, follow the below dos and don’ts.
- Shake off dirt: It’s easy for shoes to get stones and dirt in the shoe soles. Knock the soles of your trainers together and use a soft brush like a toothbrush to gently wipe the excess dirt and earth off the soles. Avoid brushing fabric material.
- Wash gently with soap and water: Mix a little bit of eco-friendly laundry detergent with warm water then use a wash cloth to dab stains on the shoes.
- Rinse: Rinse the washcloth and dip it in warm water. Wipe down the shoes so that there’s no remaining detergent on the shoes.
- Dry: Let your shoes air out at room temperature to dry. Don’t use a heater.
- Have leather shoes? Use shoe leather: If you’ve got leather shoes like the adidas original Stan Smith's, use a small amount of shoe leather to keep it in good condition. Don’t use shoe leather on any sneakers that aren’t leather.
- Check your laces: Wash your laces with a soap and water mix, and replace your laces when they’re ripped or torn.
- Take out the insole: The inside of trainers can attract a lot of odours. You can remove your insoles and let them air out overnight. If the smell is intense, sprinkle a bit of baking soda on the insoles – then brush off the next day.
- Use the washing machine as it’s too harsh for shoes and can damage their shape.
- Use a dryer or heater as rubber can change shape at hot temperatures.
- Use harsh cleaning products like chemicals or bleach.
- Use a hard brush or scrub the materials. Many shoe uppers are made of delicate material that should be dabbed only.
Here’s a few more tips which will help keep your shoes clean:
Storage: For the best condition, keep your shoes in the original box. That way you’re protecting them from the sun so white shoes like the Superstars don’t turn yellow.
Spot clean: Remove stains as quickly as you can after they happen. The more time passes, the more likely stains will become permanent.
When you’ve kept your trainers clean, focus on what’s next – enjoying your sneakers! If you’re looking for a new favourite pair, shop for adidas originals.